• Advertisement

Which compressor

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Re: Which compressor

Postby Rich » February 16th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Diane, I wrote a lengthy response but it never got posted so this is an abbreviated version.

First the bar thing. bar is a measure of pressure and is more common in Europe than here in the US. bar is the pressure of the atmosphere at sea level. 8 bar is 7.895 atmospheres (at sea level) and is 116.030 PSI. Generally it is just a specification of the maximum pressure the unit can deliver at full capacity. An equivalent spec here would be "max pressure 116 psi).

In reading your thread I think your primary goal is to have fun with this hobby. My experience is that it is not much fun when a critical piece of equipment malfunctions just when I need it to work. For that reason whatever you choose for a compressor I advise really thinking about what you want to do. In other words, will you still have fun if you can only use the compressor for 15 min and then have to wait 15 min for it to cool down? Clearly you don't need a "professional grade" compressor which can run 8-10 hours a day at high PSI without failing. I personally would want a compressor which would let me etch for an hour at a time (recharging the air tank which is what the size of the tank is all about) at 20 psi without exceeding the duty cycle on the compressor.

You have received some good, hard earned advice here on the forum. A smaller compressor will work fine depending upon what you want to do with it and still have fun!

Postby Di-lite » February 17th, 2017, 9:28 am

Thanks Terry - every little piece of information helps - I'm already aware of a moisture trap and will have to investigate to find the right one - apparently there are two pieces of add on that you need to put between the compressor and the gun. Can't remember what the other one is except that it's a filter. Wondering whether to get a pressure pot or not but I think that will be an add on - for now I'll stick with the bucket and a outer hose to keep the sand in. Simple piece of tubing with sticky round the top and bottom so that the sand drops back into the bucket!! If I can get set up for under £500 I will be well pleased - I already have a cabinet with a gun so really it is only a compressor and a water filter at the moment. May need to look into an air filter but I can wear a paper suit for the time being with a mask.

Postby Terry W » February 17th, 2017, 10:01 am

Safety is always number 1. Since you have a cabinet a suit is not really necessary but for sure a good filter mask. Not a disposable paper one. Your lungs will thank you.

Dust collection is a must in your cabinet as you need to see what your doing. Small cabinet, a shop vac will work for a while and they are pretty cheap. Although you may get a light haze in your shop as the filters do not collect everything. If so, that dust is not good for you or your pets.

I have one passthrough cabinet that always sends some dust in the air so I also have a small box fan with a filter mounted to the back and the air gets pulled through collecting most of the dust. I can put it close to my workstation and that helps a bunch.

Lungs are precious so read up on some of the safety precautions
Terry W

Return to Can we Talk !