• Advertisement

Electrician Woes

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Electrician Woes

Postby ddamico361 » July 27th, 2015, 7:31 pm

As most of you know, I am still setting up my sandblasting equipment. At this time, my large (to me) 60 gallon compressor sits in plastic wrap on a pallet awaiting connection. I have called no less than THREE electricians and none have come to my home. One backed out, the second said he'd call back but hasn't in a week and the third I am still waiting on. All I want is a simple 220v outlet in an easily accessible space. I'm not asking the list for advice, just venting I guess. I'll post when the outlet is finally installed so I can get the compressor going! I usually get the garage ready for winter in late October, only two months away. Looks like precious little blasting is gonna happen this summer. :cry:

David
David from western / upstate NY. Equipment-Husky 60gal compressor, 20gal pressure pot, small blast cabinet, Titan 15" vinyl cutter.
ddamico361

Re: Electrician Woes

Postby Charles » July 27th, 2015, 7:37 pm

How many spare blanks are in your breaker panel? How far are u running the circuit, in the wall or on the wall in conduit?
What does your booklet tell you the power requirement is?
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby ddamico361 » July 27th, 2015, 7:44 pm

There are quite a few spare blank spaces in the breaker box. I measured around 112 feet from the garage to the box. I'm not willing to do the work myself... too much possibility for problems.

D
David from western / upstate NY. Equipment-Husky 60gal compressor, 20gal pressure pot, small blast cabinet, Titan 15" vinyl cutter.
ddamico361

Postby Charles » July 27th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Ok I understand.....then you wait for an available electrician
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby KikiTopaz » July 28th, 2015, 11:14 am

Are you being too nice to these guys? Put them on the spot and say "Look, I know it's not a big job but I need a 220V outlet installed as soon as possible. When are you coming?" or
"Hey! You told me you were going to install my 220V outlet a week ago. Do you want the job or not?" No need to be the nice guy here..you have a job and want it done now.
Check the local ads to see who does home remodeling and find out who they use for electrical. They might help refer you to an electrician they know. Good luck, David!
Kari
Corelx6 graphic suite, Ingersoll Rand 60gal air compressor, Ikonics Crystal blast Pro cabinet.
Kari aka KikiTopaz
http://www.mainstreet-etch.com
KikiTopaz

Postby ddamico361 » July 28th, 2015, 11:31 am

Kiki, you're probably right. My students said I was too "nice." Guess they're used to the prof treating them like cattle and liking it.

To your suggestion, a contractor came over this morning to look at some cedar shingles needing replacing. I mentioned the issue to him and he said he knows the local guy I called and will "light a fire" under him. Hopefully solved soon. Thanks for your advice.

david
ddamico361

Postby Terry W » July 28th, 2015, 11:36 am

Yup, its tough sitting there looking at the new toys wishing you could jump in. and start using them.
Terry
Terry W

Postby randypitcher » July 29th, 2015, 1:26 pm

I am using the dryer outlet for my compressor in my garage. I had to move the outlet to a place that is easier to access. I just can't run the dryer and sandblast at the same time.

Hint: If you do this, don't forget to turn off the compressor before you unplug it! Otherwise, the next time you plug it in, you may get a surprise when the compressor starts up immediately! Scared the crap out of me the first (and last) time I did that!!
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby ddamico361 » July 31st, 2015, 8:55 pm

An update on the 220v outlet installation. I finally got a callback from the electrician that I wanted. He will be dropping by on Saturday to give me an estimate on the job. He profusely apologized for his lateness in returning my call. Hopefully this plays into his estimate. Well, I can hope, right?
ddamico361

Postby JESS » July 31st, 2015, 10:32 pm

:RO:
JESS
Site Admin

Next

Return to Can we Talk !