• Advertisement

Mug suppliers? UPC lookup link included

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Mug suppliers? UPC lookup link included

Postby Tugg Speedman » July 18th, 2015, 12:39 am

I've been using Dollar Tree 26.5 oz beer mugs which are great because they are tall and thick,they are also $1 each. Lately it's hit and miss when they have some. Do you guys and gals have a favorite restaurant supply where you get your glass from? I don't think anyone else can match $1 each unless I buy 500 at once or something. The mug barcode says it's a Libbey according to Google but the physical barcode does not say Libbey.

Here's a useful site to look up UPCs http://www.upcindex.com/

This is the mug I have been using http://www.upcindex.com/31009432196

I can't get anywhere on Dollar Tree's website because it's not a good site. Search showed nothing so it seems they get random glasses from time to time. I need to see if I can just order a couple of cases at the store I guess. :T:
Tugg Speedman

Re: Mug suppliers? UPC lookup link included

Postby sgalante » July 20th, 2015, 5:11 am

Tugg,
Have you spoken to Dollar Tree at the corporate offices? I don't really do much with them any more, but I actually was able to open a Tax Exempt account with them, and was able to order stuff that I couldn't always find in the store every time. I would think that is you gave them the UPC code, they should be able to tell you whether they can get it or not. I have also dealt with "The Christmas Tree Shops" and gotten glassware form them also. I looked on the Dollar Tree site, and didn't see those particular mugs, but I am fairly sure, if they were able to get them before, they can probably get them again. I'll check my local Dollar Tree to see if they have those. If they do, at least we will know they are probably get-able.
SteveG
sgalante

Postby BobH » July 21st, 2015, 10:21 am

We use this mug as well as a few other Libbey mugs. We also get them from Dollar Tree whenever they are available. I love the idea of working with corporate and opening an tax exempt account. We recently spoke to one of the store managers and developed a relationship with her. She lets us know the schedule for the mugs arrival and sometimes can order a few cases just for us. She is also willing to hold some cases when the regular shipment arrives.

Their are no regional suppliers of Libby glassware in southern California any longer. We had one which I use to drive to and pick up our order. We have not found another supplier that carries a good variety of what we need, nor good service. We do get some product from Marck & Associates at www.m-ware.com. Price is not great but selection is reasonable. Occasionally we find some reasonable priced glassware at Walmart.
BobH

Postby randypitcher » July 21st, 2015, 1:27 pm

When I find these mugs at Dollar Tree, I usually stock up with 100 or so. However, I like the idea of contacting corporate about setting up an account.

For one order, I was etching on martini glasses and needed about 100 of them. Well, each Dollar Tree that I went to only had between 10 and 20 in stock. Luckily, I live in a large metropolitan area and was able to visit 5 or 6 stores to get what I needed. I didn't see them on the website, but if I was able to order them based on the UPC, it would have saved me a bunch of running around.
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby sgalante » July 22nd, 2015, 5:17 am

I forgot to mention, that with Dollar Tree, once you set up the account, they require you to fill out a form and fax, email or send them a copy of your Tax Exempt Certificate. They then let you establish a method of payment, (I just used my business Credit Card) You log into their site, put in the order, and then they ship them to your local Dollar Tree. If things haven't changed, so long as you are ordering a few cases of a particular item, the shipping is free. I don't really know why it wouldn't be free, but that is the way it was. The other beauty of ordering from them, is that on case orders, you don't have to worry about them being packed correctly. The store itself, I believe gets credit for the sale, and they don't have to waste time wrapping each glass in paper, like they would have to do if you were just buying off the shelf. Obviously, BobH, if you have an agreement with the store manager, that would suffice, but in NY, with the tax exempt certificate on file, I save myself the 8% tax, and I don't have to run store to store to try to find enough glasses.
sgalante

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 1st, 2015, 10:08 pm

I don't have tax exempt status since I have not setup anything or looked into it yet. I know this is a topic for another time but since I just do this occasionally right now I thought I might not need it.Seems to be a seasonal thing where they just randomly show up. Next time I will take all of them. I'm going hunting tomorrow and see if a manager can track them down. We picked these up at a 99 cent store as well and I think it's possible to order from them if I have the upc. I'm just not even sure if these are real Libbey glasses,but they sure look like it. The UPC is getting me nowhere on dollartree site and the other site is worse.

Does anyone know if these are knock offs of Libbey? If they are,they are pretty heavy and work well. About the lowest price I see for Libbey 5272 is $61 for a case of 12. I just need to figure out where to get discounted, straight to small business glassware. I already know where to get good deals on other stuff (vinyl,heat transfer material) but not on glass. Will keep searching.
Tugg Speedman

Postby David Takes » August 2nd, 2015, 8:09 am

Tugg, the only way to purchase from a true wholesaler is to structure yourself as a legitimate business, which means you need to get registered with your federal, state, county and local government entities who handle business registrations, and the collections of the associated fees and taxes. Yes, once you are set up you get to share your profits with all of them in some way, be it a tax, annual fee, or both. It's better to start out this way, unless your plan is to give away your work. If you are planning to sell your product and service, I would avoid any problems and set yourself up.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby bernie » August 2nd, 2015, 11:24 am

I agree with David on this. If you're going to make any money at sandblasting ... get yourself operating as a business - that includes registering with local and state,
getting a federal tax id number, and a UBI number. I've had to furnish this stuff to suppliers over the years to get the discounts (they double check this info) and I've had a few corporate customers check to see if I'm legal before cutting checks. Business customers want W9 forms filled out for their taxes and this is a federal requirement and you have to furnish this unless you are a corporation. Private customers don't seem to ask for W9's but don't be shocked if tax time rolls around or if someone is going thru an audit and a customer requests a W9. Life is much easier if you do it right the first time around.

With the economy picking up and people spending money once again ... businesses will once again start paying attention to their paper work making sure who is a legit business
and who is not. It would be a shame to loose a really good order because you aren't a legit business.

If you're buying these at the dollar store, don't sell or state that they are Libbey or any other brand name as you don't know. What appears to be xxx brand, may or
may not be. I wouldn't volunteer any kind of information unless you are 100% sure that the product came out of xxx brands shipping box.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 9th, 2015, 12:08 am

David Takes wrote:Tugg, the only way to purchase from a true wholesaler is to structure yourself as a legitimate business, which means you need to get registered with your federal, state, county and local government entities who handle business registrations, and the collections of the associated fees and taxes. Yes, once you are set up you get to share your profits with all of them in some way, be it a tax, annual fee, or both. It's better to start out this way, unless your plan is to give away your work. If you are planning to sell your product and service, I would avoid any problems and set yourself up.

Thanks for the info David. I know you guys know what you are talking about and am willing to learn. Are you saying that you could get these mugs for less than $1 each? Is that if you buy 500+? $1 each seems like a good deal for me with the markup I learned to stick to (~$15 each). Since I've never had my own business,at what point do I get to take advantage,if even possible,of small business loans? How about purchasing equipment and doing a tax write off? Like I said,the business side of things is new to me and I'm off to Google.

bernie wrote:I agree with David on this. If you're going to make any money at sandblasting ... get yourself operating as a business - that includes registering with local and state,
getting a federal tax id number, and a UBI number. I've had to furnish this stuff to suppliers over the years to get the discounts (they double check this info) and I've had a few corporate customers check to see if I'm legal before cutting checks. Business customers want W9 forms filled out for their taxes and this is a federal requirement and you have to furnish this unless you are a corporation. Private customers don't seem to ask for W9's but don't be shocked if tax time rolls around or if someone is going thru an audit and a customer requests a W9. Life is much easier if you do it right the first time around.

With the economy picking up and people spending money once again ... businesses will once again start paying attention to their paper work making sure who is a legit business
and who is not. It would be a shame to loose a really good order because you aren't a legit business.

If you're buying these at the dollar store, don't sell or state that they are Libbey or any other brand name as you don't know. What appears to be xxx brand, may or
may not be. I wouldn't volunteer any kind of information unless you are 100% sure that the product came out of xxx brands shipping box.

Bernie

Oh no I didn't plan to say Libbey,just describe them as 26 oz beer mugs. If they were Libbey, I'd say something for those that wonder what brand of glass it is.I still have a lot to do before I can do this as a business. I've been working 6 days a week and won't have any free time for another three weeks,so I just make a few here and there. Making sure I can figure out the blasting part and now need to focus on the business end.I would like to get a business license and need to study up on that and figure out how to do it right. This is something that I am actually liking doing.When I was making shirts,it felt like a job and the profit margin was lower.

Is there any recommended study material for setting up a business license that doesn't involve Google?
Thanks guys
Tugg Speedman

Postby bernie » August 9th, 2015, 8:22 am

type in; getting a business license in (your state) - it will give you info and the easiest is to pick up the phone and talk to them.

There is also a link somewhere on there that tells you whether a name is still available or not for the state. Also check the .coms - such as godaddy.com - and make sure whatever
name you are picking for your business is available as it is a real hassle to set up a business name and then discover there is no availability for having a website under
that name.

The business license dept. will give you the phone number or link for the UBI number and the IRS federal id tax number. It's rather easy to get all this accomplished in a short
period of time. Business licenses are cheap. UBI and Federal id tax numbers are free ... imagine that - but you'll be paying taxes and reporting income just like the rest of us do
that are legit businesses.

The thing that cost is business liability insurance which you may or may not need at this point. I can't say what one state requires compared to another.
Bernie
bernie

Next

Return to Can we Talk !