• Advertisement

What To Do!

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

What To Do!

Postby Kelly Harris » July 27th, 2010, 9:54 am

Need advice badly!

I just got a phone call for a job offer. My old boss who left the company I was at before I was laid off wants to meet for coffee to discuss things. The place he moved to (Reliance Industrial) started up an oilfield division last summer but, because it was so new he couldn't justify bringing me along with him. Now business has really picked up and I'm the first he called. Of course I'll be expecting more money, bonuses and an extra week of vacation but the trouble is I don't know if I want to go. I don't know if I want the stress again dealing with the grumpy purchasers from the drilling companies, being on call, long hours and I really hated the drive to Nisku every day in the winter. I haven't been concentrating on my sand carving business because I've been finding others things to do around the house but now I wish I would had tossed it all aside and seriously worked on what I want to do. I know if I tell Mike he's going to say take the job because of my lack of effort with the business.

If I stay on unemployment I'm allowed to earn a certain amount of money above what I receive from them so all I'd need to bring in sand carving would be a few hundred bucks a month but it still won't be as much as what I could be making if I take the job.

I need a drink, can you drink at 11:00 in the morning?

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Re: What To Do!

Postby Tom Kuhn » July 27th, 2010, 10:07 am

Kelly Harris wrote:...I need a drink, can you drink at 11:00 in the morning?

Kelly

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby JESS » July 27th, 2010, 10:11 am

Kelly-
It's 5 o'clock somewhere! BUT- that may be a good reason to take the job. If you had said "I gotta get with this business", I would have said don't take the job. It's obvious that you want the job, or you would not be considering it. You can find a way to do the job, (earn money), and still grow your business. If nothing else, you would be building up another supply of unemployment.

That being said, there is no way I would work to line someone else's pockets unless it was something I REALLY enjoyed, and since no one will pay me to get drunk & harass women, I guess I'll stay self employed. No one can make that choice for you. When I quit the job I had had for 10 years & started our glass company, it was scary as hell! There were times when things were slow that I considered going back for wages. Today, I'm SO thankful we stuck with our business.

Good luck, we'll all be here when you decide, one way or the other.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Ginger » July 27th, 2010, 11:06 am

Hi, Kelley,

I haven't been on the forum very long and haven't had a chance to get to know you, but I hope you don't mind my putting my two cents' worth in.

It sounds like this job opening may be just the thing to focus your mind and force a decision. If you haven't been putting in the effort on your business that you thought you would (and, believe me, I have been guilty of the same kind of procrastination many, many times in my life -- haven't we all?), maybe this crossroads will galvanize your intentions so you DO go and do your sandcarving instead of getting distracted by other things around the household. Or it could go the other way -- it might cause you to say, "Guess I really wasn't cut out to be self-employed after all; I'd rather have the steady paycheck." Either decision is right if it's right for you.

Having said that, I personally would have to be totally out of options before I would go back to work for somebody else. I like to do things my own way, on my own schedule, knowing that I can make my own decisions and deal with the consequences of them, for better or worse. I love to work from home, taking breaks when I want to, or staying up late working as long as I want to, knowing that my "commute" back to the house is a quick and safe 20 seconds in all weather.

It's scary to choose the way that holds no guarantees, but fear is a normal part of stepping out in a new direction and doing something you've never done before. The work you've shared with us has been really nice, and I have no doubt that you could build your business as much as you want to, if you decide to go that route. You expressed regret about having allowed yourself to get distracted instead of doing what you really wanted to do -- sandcarving. It kind of sounds as though you've answered your own question, girl!

Ginger
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby JESS » July 27th, 2010, 11:13 am

In addition, Ginger speaks of no guarantees, but what did that guarantee get you when they laid you off?
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Gordon » July 27th, 2010, 11:55 am

Something to consider.......... What are the perks with the "job". Retirement Fund (matching)? Insurance? Discounts with a gym, etc...

Another thing to consider, what type of connections can you make with the company? When I lived in Odessa, Tx., I was doing Safety Awards for a large group of the Oil Industry out there besides my regular 40hrs/week job. It was a nice extra income.

G
Gordon

Postby KBrownlee » July 27th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Well, Ms. Kelley,
I, too, have been very guilty of not pursueing the glass business with everything I've got. ;) WHY? Well, I kinda like this being able to work on anything I want, when I want. The other part is procrastination...I am SOOOOO able to justify to myself why I didn't get something done today. :DOH:

I have a choice coming up too! A year ago, they moved me to a part time status, working 40 hours every 2 weeks. At the time, I was really glad they did. If you will remember, I was going through surgery, after surgery and I was tired. Now, business (health care) has picked up and they are making noises to offer me full time again. It would be nice financially :B: but, it would put me on a very strict schedule to get things done :E:

Like it has been said before, we are here for ya, either way that you decide.

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Postby Coppers Lot » July 27th, 2010, 2:24 pm

I remember being on call, week about gettin all the crap cos it sure as hell never happened when my opposite number had his turn.
If you take the job divide the weekly pay by 1/2.
Use one half to pay your way, save the other half for when the same thing that happened last time happens again. Forgive my bluntness but that's the way you have to look at it.
Ace Blaster, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60. 1/8" PAB Gun and tips.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby Kelly Harris » July 27th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Okay okay, yes I excel at procrastination! I am the worst, or I guess the best depending on how you look at it.

Thanks for all of your great advice everyone, I'll talk it over with Mike tonight and we'll see.

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby sketchandetch » July 29th, 2010, 10:41 am

Hey Kelly, I totally get you!! I was laid off last year and knew I wanted to do sandblasting. But was overwhelmed with the whole process I guess, so I just kept doing other things instead. But I was living in Alberta at the time and heard of a program called "New Venture Self Employment Program". It's only for EI recipients. I admit I didn't finish the program, because we moved to B.C., but it was a great source of information and motivation. Plus my hubby couldn't tell me I wasn't doing anything with my business :) And now I am successfully working on my business in Vernon and loving it!
Hope that helps, Michelle
sketchandetch

Next

Return to Can we Talk !