• Advertisement

You know it's summer whennnnnn

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Re: You know it's summer whennnnnn

Postby bernie » July 10th, 2015, 10:01 am

Bennie, what class are you taking at Ikonics? Good classes are worth every dime spent - I've heard only good about both Ikonics classes and Razist classes.

As for jobs taking longer than you anticipated ... the answer is ... anything that goes smoothly and takes little time - get excited. Unexpected issues crop up (in my world) often, even when one is using the correct material.

I like the idea of "shop layouts" but boy oh boy ... some weeks my shop looks like a tornado hit depending on what project I'm working on. The main thing in my shop is, all of my work bench's and equipment are on wheels.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Rich » July 10th, 2015, 10:25 am

bernie wrote: ...
I like the idea of "shop layouts" but boy oh boy ... some weeks my shop looks like a tornado hit depending on what project I'm working on. The main thing in my shop is, all of my work bench's and equipment are on wheels.

Bernie

I don't have nearly enough space to put benches/tables on wheels. No room. In my tiny shop I have woodworking, cold glass, blasting and gold work. Wood/blasting produce dust (bad for glass and gilding) and glass/gilding produce moisture and higher humidity (bad for wood/blasting). Sigh, never enough room and a constant challenge to deal with the side effects from the process. But I digress and apologize Terry for stepping on your thread.
Rich

Postby Terry W » July 10th, 2015, 11:29 am

Step away Rich :B: I just thought it strange as every other forum I frequent is dead during the summer but this one usually has a few active post but not the last week or so.

I here you on the shop size. I went from a 40x100 and 42 x 56 with a little heated garage that was 36x42 with bath and 8 x 16 blast room. Down to 24x24. Oh, the biggest was my 20 acre motocross track :TU: :TU: :TU:

Was just getting into blasting when I moved. Would really like the room back now. :B:
Terry
Terry W

Postby bernie » July 10th, 2015, 5:26 pm

This may be the most active thread all week. Thanks Terry for reminding us that we haven't been around much. lol
I've had an excuse ... hot sun in Seattle doesn't happen all that often and it really has been too hot to sandblast - but, I have a killer tan :) Today the temp. has dropped considerably
with no sun in sight and gray sky. Darn, guess that means I need to get to working.

Rich and Terry, I understand what you guys are saying about space. I gave up my big cabinet saw with all the outfeed tables after I started using it for a workbench. Of course, I
put plywood on top of everything but ... it was either free up the space in the shop or build another building for the sandblasting stuff. I couldn't justify the cost of a new
building, nor was it in the budget and realizing I had only moved the plywood half a dozen times in a year for less than a day each time ... I threw it on craigslist. Miss that saw setup every time I need to cut something but I always remember the guy who bought it smiling and singing "merry christmas to me" as he was loading it.

I've tried the pop up tents for misc. stuff I'm working on. They don't last long as the wind either grabs them and ruins the frame or the rain pools on the top canvas and they
collapse. Think I've gone thru 4 of those in the past couple of years. Even tried a couple of those canvas drive in thingy's that are 10'x20' ... same problem with the wind and rain.
They all work if its a temp set up for a dry day, other than that - waste of money.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Rich » July 10th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Right Bernie, I agree. Any flat surface is fair game for stuff to pile up on and pretty soon it nothing but a mess. For every 8 hrs working there is at least an hour of cleanup and put away to have any chance to keep up. Even so, with multiple projects going I am sometimes down to little trails through the shop to get to stuff to work on the next step! My arrangement allows me relatively long runs of 12ft or so to mill lumber. On the glass side I can cut, grind, polish glass as well as blast it in my cabinet. Alas, I don't have a room. That would be fun. But, no space. I also have to accommodate my darkroom, and silk screening setup, which while portable still takes space. And I need storage for paint, varnish, thinners and what not.
Rich

Postby JESS » July 10th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I doubt you will believe it, but extra room just allows you to be more of a slob. Bernie, Rich, you have seen my shop. Plenty of room to work, right? Well, every couple of weeks, I have to go through and "relocate" all of the things I have just set off to the side, while doing everyday work. If you have room, you use it. There are many occasions, while straightening up my messes, I wish I would have stayed on top of it from the beginning, instead of devoting an hour to make the place look respectable again. I find myself devoting late Sunday night to getting ready for Monday, by putting everything away, vacuuming, etc. It does not matter how much space you have to work in. What matters, is the condition you keep your work space in. Some of the greatest work is produced in the smallest of workshops. It's just a matter of ethics.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Rich » July 11th, 2015, 10:20 am

I agree with you Jess but I think of it more like will power to put stuff away. It is more than that though. Dust, water, critters, materials all contribute to the mess and in many cases interfere with the work you want to do. That is the struggle I have. The constant cleaning. I admit though that I don't turn on my room air exchange filtration system and I should. I do know that when the air is clean and the materials properly prepared things go much better and it is more enjoyable to boot. But to your point, if you don't have the ethic to keep your bench clean then you are doomed to ever closing paths in your work space to get to things you need and there is nowhere to work!
Rich

Previous

Return to Can we Talk !