• Advertisement

Just Toys

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Just Toys

Postby Charles » June 21st, 2015, 7:14 pm

I think I made a post earlier about a new toy a little Quadcopter, little cheerson cx 10 cost about 20.00 delivered, best spent 20.00for me in a while, ended up getting several for the kids and grand kids for birthday presents ect. Anyhow I decided I needed a larger unit, so staying with the same brand I go the CX 20, large enuff to carry a nice camera, some nice features if you have the sense to use them :Crazy: SO after a crash, a software boo boo I am confident enough to send it up with my shiny new action camera what a blast!!!!!! Still having trouble getting the aerial footage I want but that is no more then the nut behind the wheel issues!
Fortunate that we have a couple hundred acres few neighbors so remote range is about double then in town with a lot of RF ..wow nice big playground .....well it does have its own drawbacks :o
Today as I was showin it off to my dad over a 40 acre hayfield, 75 ft up abt 1000 ft away I hear the pissed off scream of a Red Tailed hawk, here she comes out of the far woods after the drone, well the Hawk can certainly out dive the drone, they are fast in spurts....SO full throttle UP and back to me....Hawk broke off about 75 ft from Dad and I , Drove was up to about 250 ft ....SO lesson of the day in mission planner mark off that pair of Red Tails hunting ground and stay away LOL . Drone is home and in one piece..... Love the toys....
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Re: Just Toys

Postby JESS » June 21st, 2015, 7:18 pm

Charles-
Wish I could join you in the fun! Those things are great!
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Charles » June 21st, 2015, 7:47 pm

I would enjoy that Jess. Im itching to get some good aerial footage before I destroy my camera ..lol
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby bernie » June 21st, 2015, 7:58 pm

Sounds like fun!
bernie

Postby David Takes » June 21st, 2015, 8:21 pm

Charles,

I've been looking seriously at one of the DJI Phantoms. Although they are a little pricier, they are well supported and of proven quality. http://store.dji.com/

Here is a video taken using a DJI drone. You can tell by the trees that the wind is blowing a bit, but the video is still very steady. This is a video of the city of Pella, IA, where the Dutch settled many years ago. They are well known for their spring Tulip Festival. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmhWKWCO2M
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby JESS » June 21st, 2015, 8:50 pm

A friend of mine, who is a hunter, has a setup that follows his cell phone. He programs the height, sets the "zero" image to his phone, and it follows him on his Quad for up to three hours, filming him from above. From that, he has discovered how many Deer and Elk he never sees, but they see him. It's surprising to see how many Coyotes follow him, chowing down on the critters he stirs up.
Not only that, but he has caught images of Bears watching him! I really get a kick watching some of the videos, they show how many times he FAILS on his quad! :lol:
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Charles » June 22nd, 2015, 4:37 am

The Phantom looks like a good machine, comes with a lot of goodies!!! I wanted something I could crash and pitch without a lot of tears shed :lol:
I would get a couple of the smaller 20.00 quads to start with and learn how to fly before I attempted a more expensive machine!!!!

Jess the follow me feature looks neat!!! Most now locks on the blue tooth signal from a cell phone, and you tell it how far back sideways in front to follow and how high up. The APM's out there now are very sophisticated now. I can add all that to my CX 20, cost is not to great, I would like to know what machine your friend Jess is flying to get a 3 hour flight time, most are a max of 20 to 30 minutes. And yes when you are running your camera it will show the crash in great detail.

We have some cattle out right now and I set up a search grid in Mission Planner to look into some hard to access places, in mission planner you do not need your remote control for most of the trip so it can fly out of remote range and return home land where you unlocked the motors at. I could spend a month reading in the various forums and in the autocoter forum and still be way behind!!!!!

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby JESS » June 22nd, 2015, 4:09 pm

Ok, my screw up. He has extra large blades, and gets 30 to 35 minutes from a battery when it's carrying the camera. He set it up so he could change batteries in the field, and keeps 4 lithium ion batteries.
The video he showed me was pieced together.
You guys & your toys! He about talked my ear off about it!
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Bkaz » June 22nd, 2015, 4:11 pm

Charles,

I can't thank you enough for posting about that little copter. I bought my son a helicopter last x-mas. It sat in his closet for months since he forgot to open it up. He finally opened it up last month, it didn't fly great and yet he still thought it was awesome. But 2 days later he breaks the top blade. I go to look for a replacement and come to find out its not replaceable. I should have read some reviews before I bought it.

I just watched a video of that little cx-10. And that looks to be exactly what we need. And the best part it looks like a set of new blades were only like $4.

Brian
Bkaz

Postby jhenryw49 » June 22nd, 2015, 4:34 pm

sounds like fun there with all the land to use it on. I was looking at a drone a local photographer has wow, 4 electric motors he had a control box for the camera and the drone.

Have fun jack
jhenryw49

Next

Return to Can we Talk !