• Advertisement

Inkjet printers and transparency film

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Re: Inkjet printers and transparency film

Postby kuluchicken » February 15th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Sorry Terry, I promised to give you my settings, but realized if you have a different printer it would have different options :DOH:
kuluchicken

Postby Terry W » February 15th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Thanks Michelle

I got the 620. Thats just the newer model of what you have.

I do have it printing and working but it isn't as dark as my 1430 prints. Works just fine though but washout is longer and for real tiny lines (really too thin to work) its sketchy.
But for 99% of the time I think it will be a nice little printer. I know there is a back up now if my other printer goes out again. Should have that back in a few weeks.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Sunny » May 28th, 2015, 12:29 pm

From the perspective of a novice, this thread has confused me. I cannot connect a particular printer and a particular transparency that is working well for people. There seem to be concerns about the Epson ink leaving tiny holes. I realize that Jess said that he puts a small spot of paint on any holes and that seems to work. I'm ok with that but want to find a combination of printer, ink, and transparency material that minimizes those issues. I will need a wide format printer. I am able to use the 10X12 size for the transparency in that I can place two jar images on one sheet effectively. So 8.5X11 doesn't work well for me. With that in mind I would welcome "specific" detailed suggestions that folks have used effectively. This will be the last piece of the puzzle so I do want to make an informed choice. Your responses are greatly appreciated. Wado (thanks).
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby kuluchicken » May 28th, 2015, 1:20 pm

I've become an Epson fan...I have a cheap one...the same one Jess uses, and it's amazing. It's not a wide format one though. Depending on how much money you want to spend, you could buy what Terry uses or try a cheaper model.
kuluchicken

Postby Terry W » May 28th, 2015, 3:37 pm

I received an email from Sunny today asking for a little clarity on this subject. I decided to answer here so that others that may be confused will not have to search far and wide for the same answers.

Sunny I will try my best to confuse you even more... :toh: Kidding. The printers I have and use I will give my little rundown for you and just about all of them will work for what you have explained what you are mainly doing (Mason Jars).

I do have an epson 1400, 1430, workforce 600 and xp 620 and Brother laser printer. These are my results with each of them. I used to have a couple HP's that worked but found the epsons worked far superior. I have no idea if newer HP models are any good as I don't have one.

I used the 1400 with stock ink for a long time with a 3M transparency and it worked great. Jet black transparencies. It plugged up one day and it was cheaper for me to get a new printer then to fix it.

Epson 1430. Almost identical in print quality as the 1400. I now use a bulk ink system from ink supply dot com. Ink works fine and I also print pictures with this printer and after a few setting changes looks and works great. The 3M film I was using with great success is no longer available so I switched to to another 3M transparency film. It worked but not as good as the first film I was using. Never had any issues but you could see the difference holding up to the light. It did let a little light by. But like I said, I never had any issues. When I had an issue with the 1430 and had to send in for warranty work I posted a few questions here and Jess recommended the xp 600 I think was what he was using. I couldn't find one local and needed to print some film so purchased the xp 620.

XP 620. After getting this printer I did my usual testing and setting changes and found what worked for me. Of coarse the film (3M) I had been using is not carried by my local stores any more and was not readily available online so I tried the brand Jess had recommended (Apollo) as my local store had this but not the number Jess recommended. It was what I could find local and that's what I got. I printed 3 complete test pages with every setting I could think of. The box found it's way to the round file cabinet.
I ordered the brand (and number) Jess recommended and did some testing and everything was fine. Before the Apollo VCG7033S film arrived I had to use old sheets of the original 3M film I had. I print from the top of the sheet and mostly for each job so I have sheets that only have printing on the top 1/2 or so. I was able to finish my job. When the new film showed up I made some setting changes and found what works. I just finished not long ago 120 awards each different with some 4pt text and lots of fine lines and worked fine. Not one issue with washout.

Workforce 600. Bust. It would not recognize transparency film no mater what I did. I even taped a sheet of paper behind and spit it right through. A big fat NO!!!

I also have a Brother laser printer and have used it mainly to make sure it would work as a backup and it did but I myself would not recommend it. Not as good of a printout.

When I was printing with the 1400 and epson ink to the first 3M film I was first using it was dark and not a hint of light. I could hold film up now to the old printouts and easily see the difference. However that film is long gone now.

So you have options. Price, both the 1400 (discontinued) and 1430 are very expensive and ink hogs. That should not really be a factor if you are getting paid for your work IMO. The XP620 seems to be a nice machine and it works. I paid around a hundred bucks. I have a new inkset from ink supply dot com to try when this cart set is out but haven't yet. Their ink does seem to work on my epson 1430 though.

Film definitely matters. I have tried a bunch and the pin holes you speak of are from the ink not being receptive to the coating on the film. Even though it feels dry it did not receive well and thus you have an air bubble (pin hole). For the instance you do have a pin hole just do like Jess recommends and dab some paint on it. Even with the best printer setup you may run across this situation.

Using the old film that is no longer available I was able to washout most designs in 15-20 seconds. Now it takes me double and I am more careful. But it works and bottom line is, that's all that matters.

So now that I have confused you even more :TU: I would recommend the epson 1430 if you must have wide format and the xp620 if you don't need wide format. Genuine Epson ink works and the ink supply dot come seems to work as well. Film does matters and you have a recommendation for that. Yes I have also used ikonics film and it also works.

Sunny this is my observation on what you have explained that your trying to accomplish so please don't be offended as I am just trying to help. I just cant figure why any job like that would take the amount of time your spending on the blasting side of things. With your designs you are trying to stay to that 2 per sheet so you think you need a wide format printer. If you have to get the larger transparency film from say Ikonics or elsewhere and you are cutting your design in half anyway, just forget about the few pennies you may save trying to use a full sheet of film. Get a roll of R3 not sheets and you can cut to length what you need and not worry about trying to fill up every little square inch of film or mask. Yes the mask is expensive but you stated that you sometime spend hours and hours cutting and weeding your designs. I am assuming you already have the design in your computer so that part is not an issue. Now you can print, expose, washout, install your mask, blast and clean up in maybe a half an hour. What can you find to do with all that extra time?????????? :B:

So my recommendation to you for the main jobs you have described would be - the Epson XP620 (or if you can still find the XP600 that Jess recommended). Apollo film and you should be good to go.

And as you can see, I ramble. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. Better to get it right the first time and save money for more tools. :TU:
Terry
Terry W

Postby silvastrike » May 28th, 2015, 6:46 pm

In regards to transparency paper. I buy the Computer Grafix sheets from Hobby Lobby. Priced @ 8.99 and there are often sales that I can take advantage of including papercraft coupons!
silvastrike

Postby Sunny » May 28th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Terry W,

A big thank you for taking the time to bring this discussion together in a conclusive way. It is exactly what I needed, and thank you also for providing a choice of printers and relating your experience with transparencies and ink. It will allow me to live long and prosper...lol. It is a blessing. :ty:

Yes, the time savings should be significant with respect to the solar lanterns. Now the greatest amount of time will be spent on grinding and polishing the jars. I have made modifications there too that should save time. Working with more complex and detailed images will bring a new level of beauty to the lanterns. :TU:

I'll also be working with stone. I have some preferred stones that I favor for cutting, polishing, and deep carving. Here too the R3 will allow a greater range of images to be carved. :grin:

Finally, I'm working with crystal blanks and deep carving them for a unique effect used as a pendant for a necklace or a suncatcher. :TU:

So my interests in this later time of life is for creating smalls. In time and with experience I would like to create some very detailed and unusual smalls that will create a higher dollar nitch market. :B:

So on behalf of myself and others who are learning from the Big Dogs, a very special thank you for your time and effort. :bravo:

Sunny
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby Sunny » May 28th, 2015, 11:34 pm

silvastrike wrote:In regards to transparency paper. I buy the Computer Grafix sheets from Hobby Lobby. Priced @ 8.99 and there are often sales that I can take advantage of including papercraft coupons!

Thanks Silvastrike for the recommendation. The price is amazingly attractive. :ty:
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

Postby jhenryw49 » May 29th, 2015, 12:00 pm

staples still do the transparency number 23247 got it online 50 sheets

Jack
jhenryw49

Postby Sunny » May 29th, 2015, 4:47 pm

I ordered the 1430 today from Epson. I plan to use it with a dedicated usb 2 cable for greater reliability. I read many many reviews by users before deciding on the 1430. I have a small music publication company with BMI too and from time to time will release a CD. So the 1430 will do double duty for me. I like to sell CD's directly to nitch markets. I have done traditional blues mostly with people like Johnnie Johnson, Eddie Kirkland, Luther Johnson, and Larry Davis. My newest release will be a rock album in the style of Journey. I strive to produce top flight music, and am petrified that one will take off bigger than I can handle...lol. So the 1430 it is....

Thanks again for all who took the time to share their thoughts.
Choose life in all thngs
Sunny

PreviousNext

Return to Can we Talk !