• Advertisement

Letralite question

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Letralite question

Postby Jim McDaniel » April 18th, 2014, 11:40 am

How do you tell when the bulb is going bad? Is there things you would see to tell you that the bulb may need replacing? I seem to be having a harder time with the wash out step with images and prints i have used before. I have tried different cook times ( up and down) in the range of 25 to 45 sec. but it does not make much difference. I am seeing longer washout time and more of the smaller details getting blown off because of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Jim McDaniel

Re: Letralite question

Postby KikiTopaz » April 19th, 2014, 3:58 am

Jim,
I have a letralite but I use rapidmask, usually 4mil. I cook my resist at about 2 minutes. I'm not sure what is recommended for wash out film. Perhaps someone else can jump in with their experiences.
Kari
Corelx6 graphic suite, Ingersoll Rand 60gal air compressor, Ikonics Crystal blast Pro cabinet.
Kari aka KikiTopaz
http://www.mainstreet-etch.com
KikiTopaz

Postby Eriks » April 19th, 2014, 5:37 am

Jim,

What type of film are you using, and how old is it?

Some films have a shorter shelf life than others and become more difficult to wash out.

Cheers,
Eriks
Benchmark Engraving & Awards - Australia
http://www.benchmarkengraving.com.au
and also:
http://www.bluestreaksix.com
Eriks

Postby LUNA007 » April 19th, 2014, 8:42 am

Jim, I have my about 6 years now no problem what so ever.. i do 30 second for my photomask 3 mil and 4 mil...

Hope this help..
Antonio
LUNA007

Postby Jim McDaniel » April 19th, 2014, 9:13 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am using Ikonics R3 photo resist 3mil washout. The film is only two to three months old. Most of my problems is with the smaller detail images. Wash out time seem to be taking to long. Have been using 30 to 45 sec. Not sure if I should go up on time or not. Thought may be bulb could be going bad.

Jim
Jim McDaniel

Postby Eriks » April 19th, 2014, 11:56 pm

Jim,

There was a dud batch of R3 a couple of years ago that had a very short shelf life, but haven't been aware of any problems since with this film. The R3 3mil is one of the most easiest films to wash out.

What water temperature are you washing the film with? The best temperature is what you would normally use for your shower. Cold water temperatures can make the wash out more difficult.

Cheers,
Eriks
Benchmark Engraving & Awards - Australia
http://www.benchmarkengraving.com.au
and also:
http://www.bluestreaksix.com
Eriks

Postby Kelly Harris » April 20th, 2014, 7:42 am

I wonder if it could be the printer not printing dark enough. As Eriks said, R3 is one of the easiest films to wash out and is my favourite. Super quick and I can achieve very fine detail with it. I develop 25 to 30 seconds as per the instructions and my Letralite is probably around 6 years old although it's not used very often. I haven't timed a wash out but something that's sized for a wine glass takes somewhere around 15 or 20 seconds.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Jim McDaniel » April 20th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Eriks, The film I have is only about two to three months old. I have been using it with no problems. Water temp well I have not put a thermometer to it but its fairly warm to the touch.
Kelly, I am still using the same setting I have been using. My Letralite is only about three years old I have had it two years and it was in storage the first year by the original owner. I use my Letralite on all projects only because I have no cutter yet. :DOH:
I am going to try increasing my cook time and see what happens.

Thanks
Jim
Jim McDaniel

Postby JESS » April 20th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Jim-
Go back to the beginning, and work the snap test. It will save you a lot of material.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Jim McDaniel » April 21st, 2014, 3:11 pm

Jess, How do you snap test washout film? Have i missed something?

Thanks
Jim
Jim McDaniel

Next

Return to Can we Talk !