• Advertisement

Trying out some finishes on pattern glass

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Trying out some finishes on pattern glass

Postby Schramm » November 20th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Today I was working or samples for a couple Hotel jobs that I am getting ready to do and thought I would screw around with some ideas that I had for antiqued mirror pattern glass. WOW it is so much easier to gain a controllable patina on this type of substrate. I actually like how fast this builds a finish. Here is a pic of 2 of them
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schramm

Re: Trying out some finishes on pattern glass

Postby Inga » November 20th, 2010, 8:25 pm

Interesting.
What exactly are we looking at here?
Thanks,
Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby Kelly Harris » November 20th, 2010, 9:18 pm

Me too, same question.

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Schramm » November 21st, 2010, 7:40 am

The piece on the left is a piece of Autumnvue (pressed or pattern glass) which starts clear and I mirror and antiqued it. I will say it is a bad picture because even as pattern glass it is hard to photograph but it has areas of the mirroring that have a siena tone to the glass with reds, browns and blues and the rest is antiqued mirroring. The one on the right you can see the antique patterning but what is hard to get is this is on wavy antique style GNA glass which obscures the view and gives you more of a feeling of old glass. Both are really done for cabinet glass but could be used for about anything. I just sold 31 sf of the GNA yesterday after showing the sample.
Schramm

Postby Coppers Lot » November 21st, 2010, 7:43 am

Cool looking pieces, what uses do you envisage for them, door inserts perhaps?
Ace Blaster, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60. 1/8" PAB Gun and tips.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby Schramm » November 21st, 2010, 10:20 am

Anything that someone needs mirror or antique mirror for. Cabinet door inserts, door panels, back splash material, wall art, wall panels, framed artistic art.
Schramm

Postby Coppers Lot » November 21st, 2010, 11:45 am

Slightly off topic Rob but how is glass fixed to the wall/plaster/rock wall in a splashback please as it's not a common finish in the Uk as some peole con sider glass spalchbacks in kitchjedns to be a cleaning nightmare?
Ace Blaster, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60. 1/8" PAB Gun and tips.
Coppers Lot

Postby Schramm » November 21st, 2010, 2:40 pm

That truly amazes me as a lot of ideas I have come up with over the years have come from UK Design and mirror and glass back splashes are very popular there.

I use an aluminum tape that is 3" wide and apply this to any place that I am going to apply mirror mastic or silicone to protect the back from damage from the mastic. Aluminum does not get effected by nor does it corrode.
Schramm

Postby Coppers Lot » November 22nd, 2010, 3:10 am

Thanks Rob,
I am amazed that you get your ideas from the uk though, I have walked round many kitched shops here and even empoyed a kitchen designer three years ago and glass spashbacks were never offered, displayed or discussed.
Coppers Lot

Postby Schramm » November 22nd, 2010, 6:16 am

I guess I should rephrase that, I get my inspiration from the UK on a lot of things and then give it my own twist. Kinda like I have about 90 samples of other antique mirrors that other companies are offering so that I can draw inspiration with my own twist off of them. Once you understand how to make a mirror and how to make a patina you understand what it will take to make an antique mirror. The rest of everything is trial and error and a lot of notes. I can look at another companies finish and make it, no problem and I get asked to do that all the time but I like being unique. The UK has many great things that they do to inspire you but what they are using it on may need to be tweeked for your project.
Schramm

Return to Can we Talk !