• Advertisement

Shop Lights

This is for discussion of all topics of interest to our members.
  • Advertisement

Re: Shop Lights

Postby Kelly Harris » October 30th, 2019, 6:00 am

Update. Almost 1 year later.

We changed out the fluorescent fixtures for these babies https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commer ... 1000823032 and they're working awesome! The best thing about them is they work no matter the temperature. Although we had cold weather fluorescent lights, when it was cold, they would barely come on. The new lights, whether it's 30 above or 40 below, they ALWAYS light up, and they light up nice and bright. I love them! Thanks again everyone. :)
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby James Burke » October 30th, 2019, 7:44 am

We did the same last year also, except we used our old fixtures and purchased LED tubes. I was getting tired of constantly replacing fluorescent tubes every nine months or so.

The LED illumination is identical to fluorescent, except brighter. They consume half the energy and last thousands of hours longer. It's a win/win, either way you look at it.

JB
James Burke

Postby Kelly Harris » October 30th, 2019, 9:29 am

I replaced all of the bulbs in the house with LED's over the last couple of years and I also purchased this light (x2) for my over my benches in my office. I love them https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commer ... 1000832691. Yep, I agree, the LED's are great. We even installed a security light on our shop/garage that I can control with my phone. :)
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby David Takes » October 31st, 2019, 8:55 am

James,

Did you have to do some re-wiring of the fixture to bypass the ballast? I've got 35 4-bulb units I've been wanting to convert over to LED but need to do more research on bulbs, ballasts, etc.

I switched my 80 halogen showroom bulbs over to LED a couple years ago. I calculated that it is saving me over $100 per month in electricity and bulb replacement cost. The fluorescents are more of a pain to change and I typically change out all of them at the same time on a schedule rather than as needed.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby James Burke » October 31st, 2019, 10:40 am

David,

I didn't swap out the ballasts, the LED lamps worked perfectly. I've heard that some of the older fixtures (not sure what "older" means, here) do not support the new lamps.

My LEDs look exactly like a cool white fluorescent lamps. Some LEDs look like a clear tube with a strip of individual diodes, and those lamps may be the ones in question. Worse case scenario, remove the ballasts and wire the contacts directly to the cord.

I was very skeptical at first and tried them out in just one fixture. Needless to say I went back the next day and outfitted the rest of the shop. I believe I paid a fuzz over $50 for a box of ten 4-footers. That's not much more than standard fluorescent lamps.

Jim
James Burke

Postby bernie » November 1st, 2019, 3:30 pm

I replaced all fixtures and bulbs at least a year ago with LED's. Old fixtures weren't compatible with LED bulbs. Costco had a sale - worth switching for me. My fixtures have pull strings, my old florescent ones had the same. Nice to be able to turn certain fixtures on/off.
bernie

Postby Coppers Lot » November 2nd, 2019, 3:12 am

Kelly Harris wrote:Update. Almost 1 year later.

We changed out the fluorescent fixtures for these babies https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commer ... 1000823032 and they're working awesome! The best thing about them is they work no matter the temperature. Although we had cold weather fluorescent lights, when it was cold, they would barely come on. The new lights, whether it's 30 above or 40 below, they ALWAYS light up, and they light up nice and bright. I love them! Thanks again everyone. :)

I get an access denied error when trying to access that URL Kelly, the same with your next post as well.
Ace Blaster, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60. 1/8" PAB Gun and tips.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby JESS » November 2nd, 2019, 9:10 am

Pops right up here! :C:
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Coppers Lot » November 3rd, 2019, 1:36 am

JESS wrote:Pops right up here! :C:
Jess

My ISP doesn't seem to like home depot canada. home depot.com is fine
Ace Blaster, compressor,leaky cabinet thingy with syphon,letralite with red thingy,graphtec 3000-60. 1/8" PAB Gun and tips.
http://www.worldofglasscraft.com
Coppers Lot

Postby Kelly Harris » November 6th, 2019, 6:09 am

Coppers Lot wrote:
JESS wrote:Pops right up here! :C:
Jess

My ISP doesn't seem to like home depot canada. home depot.com is fine

That's strange. I wonder if that applies to any .ca site.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Previous

Return to Can we Talk !