• Advertisement

Smart Jig

If you're handy with a hammer, wrench or screwdriver there are times where you can make-it-yourself cheaper than buying. Here's the place to share information for mods and construction projects.
  • Advertisement

Re: Smart Jig

Postby bernie » August 7th, 2015, 9:57 pm

jhenryw49 wrote:nice set up now what blue tape is that they use is it painter tape or something else.

jack

there is a blue tape for sandblasting. I think Ikonics and Razist both sell it. I've used it in another sandblasters shop and she said she ordered it along with her film. It
is definitely different than blue painters tape.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 7th, 2015, 11:03 pm

That's what I use,blue painters tape for glass.
Tugg Speedman

Postby bernie » August 8th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Tugg Speedman wrote:That's what I use,blue painters tape for glass.

The tape I'm talking about is blue 'sandblast tape' not painters tape. It is much thicker than painters tape. I didn't know it existed until about 4 years ago.

Painters tape is not always a safe option if one is sandblasting on an expensive piece of glass.
Bernie
bernie

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 14th, 2015, 2:20 am

Hmm, haven't seen blue tape for blasting,thought it was painters tape.Did seem kinda sketchy using standard tape for some expensive glass. Looking to order some thicker blank to get something besides glasses going. I guess I need to look here for the good stuff.
Tugg Speedman

Postby David Takes » August 14th, 2015, 6:02 am

I've always used 3M Scotch #2020 2" masking tape for masking off my resists. I've never had an issue of grit penetrating the mask and frosting the surface of the glass or crystal. I use it on everything from a $1 piece to a $1,000 piece. I wrap the piece in plastic wrap, then the edge of the resist with the 2" tape. I do need to share that I only use 180-grit silicon carbide. My experience may be different if I were to use a larger grit, so tread lightly with this recommendation if you use a larger grit.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 15th, 2015, 12:47 am

Yeah David, my blue tape is 3M 2090 2". Been sticking well and resisting me blasting at 40 psi AO from about 6" away.It's multi surface medium stick and has been holding up. I know there's some low tack out there and that probably creates issues. I have yet to use plastic wrap.I guess using shrink wrap would work the same way as plastic wrap for kitchen use? We have a ton at work that sometimes get tossed when low.
Tugg Speedman

Postby David Takes » August 15th, 2015, 10:28 am

The use of plastic wrap helps with protection from a random scratch during handling, but also helps speed up the cleanup process. Your shrink wrap should serve the same purpose, plus, you can't beat free.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
David Takes

Postby bernie » August 15th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Free is always the first option.
I get plastic wrap at Costco. Comes in a 2 roll pack and there is a lot of it. One for the shop, one for the house.

Bernie
bernie

Postby David Takes » August 15th, 2015, 7:38 pm

I use the 3,000 foot rolls from Sam's Club.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
David Takes

Previous

Return to Handyman's Corner