• Advertisement

Smart Jig

If you're handy with a hammer, wrench or screwdriver there are times where you can make-it-yourself cheaper than buying. Here's the place to share information for mods and construction projects.
  • Advertisement

Smart Jig

Postby randypitcher » March 24th, 2015, 3:58 am

I saw this jig on one of IKONIC's videos and knew I needed one. However, I never got around to making one. Then I met someone whose husband does woodworking as a hobby and asked if he could make one for me.

Here is the video that I originally saw it on (around the 55 second mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB-STPDqJTo

I have plans in PDF form. Maybe we can see if IKONICS will let Jess post them in the Construction Plan section. In the meantime, feel free to PM me and I will send you the plans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Re: Smart Jig

Postby kuluchicken » March 24th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Thanks for sharing that with us Randy...a cool video as well.
kuluchicken

Postby Eriks » March 25th, 2015, 1:03 am

Thanks Randy,

I can see how useful this jig could be. This might need to be a project for this weekend.

Cheers,
Eriks
Benchmark Engraving & Awards - Australia
http://www.benchmarkengraving.com.au
and also:
http://www.bluestreaksix.com
Eriks

Postby davidkelso » March 26th, 2015, 3:52 am

Funnily enough I had seen that video a while back and thought the jig would be a useful addition to my 'stuff'.

It took me a while to get round to it (not that handy myself) however I did manage to cobble one together okay. Not maybe as neat as the ones in the video though.

It is now indispensable!! It holds most things at the right angle and gives you a very solid base for the downward pressure required for todays photo resists.

Small shot glasses sometime fall between the sides however I just stuff a cloth in the gap and that holds them every bit as well

If I was making another one I would maybe reduce the height of it slightly however that is down to the height of my work bench etc.

Not being that 'handy' I don't have much in the way of wood lying about the place. Not a lot is required so rather than buying a large(ish) sheet I bought a set of wooden chopping boards from Ikea (Magasin) for £4 ($6-$7). Job done!! I even have half a chopping board left........

Certainly a useful item to have on the bench.

The other thing I like in that video is the registration gauge they drop into the item for aligning the mask. Very neat & quick.

My only reservation about the drop in gauge measuring from the top is the rim. One assumes it is perfectly horizontal which it might be for machine made glass but could be slightly off in hand made items.

I usually mark a horizontal line using a height gauge from the bottom which means the inscription should be perfect relative to the horizon.

Cheers,

David
=========================
David Kelso
Crystal Clear Glass Engravers
Belfast, Northern Ireland
www.crystal-engravers.com
=========================
Creative Crystal cabinet, PAB Blaster set up, CorelDraw X7 + HalfWiz
davidkelso

Postby Kelly Harris » March 26th, 2015, 6:58 am

Thanks Randy, that's a great idea.

I was working on some stones yesterday and thought of you. This is a lap desk that never really made a good lap desk but I discovered that it works great to hold a stone while applying the stencil. The underside of it is filled with styrofoam beads and keeps the stone still and from rolling around on the counter while you're working on it.

Lap Desk 1.jpg

Lap Desk 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby randypitcher » March 26th, 2015, 11:28 pm

That is a really cool use for the lap desk! I think I have one laying around somewhere. I have been using an old towel to protect my desktop and keep the stones in place.
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 5th, 2015, 4:35 am

I don't think Ikonics would be bothered with the plans being shown. They have it up on their website for download. I plan to make one of these and need to find a large tape dispenser for my blue tape.I like their Smart Flex videos. Need more like that.

Beats trying to hold glass in my lap.
https://ikonicsimaging-c7f.kxcdn.com/ikonics/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SmartJig_UserGuide_II.pdf
Tugg Speedman

Postby randypitcher » August 5th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Cool! Glad that you found it online. When I looked for it a while ago, I couldn't find it. I love mine! I use it for all my glasses and mugs.

I use the 3" version of this tape dispenser. I can put a 2" roll and a 1" roll on it at the same time.
http://www.staples.com/Tape-Logic-Multi ... _SS1084595
randypitcher

Postby Tugg Speedman » August 6th, 2015, 12:54 am

Maybe I should just get that tape dispenser since I sometimes use the narrow tape. I looked and wasn't able to find one like the video that holds a wide roll,at least nothing under $20. I need to make a couple of these holders. How much easier is it than trying to do it in your lap? It looks so much better along with a tape dispenser.
Tugg Speedman

Postby jhenryw49 » August 7th, 2015, 1:44 pm

nice set up now what blue tape is that they use is it painter tape or something else.

jack
jhenryw49

Next

Return to Handyman's Corner