• Advertisement

Hydrofluoric Acid

We want everyone to grow old in one piece, so here you will find safety tips to help that happen.
  • Advertisement

Hydrofluoric Acid

Postby Inga » June 7th, 2010, 11:55 am

First off, let me say that I am VERY well aware of the dangers of working with hydrofluoric Acid.
That much said, does anybody know somebody (preferably close to me in Oregon - Hah) that has worked with it and can tell me more about the ins and outs on how to work with it to reduce the amount of risk to as low as possible?

Also, anybody now any hydrofluoric acid sources in Oregon or Northern California?

Thanks,
inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Re: Hydrofluoric Acid

Postby Tom Kuhn » June 7th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Inga, I would guess the best resource for that inf would be Roderick. We need to make sure he knows about this forum.

Image   Software Engineer & Webmaster
Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Rich » June 7th, 2010, 12:45 pm

Hi Inga,

You will find several experienced acid etching folks over at the handlettering forum (Rod among many others is a member there as well).

http://www.handletteringforum.com/forum/

Best regards,

Rich
I am on the web atImage
Rich

Postby Inga » June 7th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Yes, I know. But I didn't want to bug any of them if I didn't have to. I was more just starting up some conversation here.
I am in contact with Dave Smith...maybe he can give me a few pointers. I wan't to be oh-so-careful, so as not to compromise my health any further.
===================
This is what Roderick replied to me yesterday when I invited him to this forum:
"Hi Inga,
Thanks but I read the rules and I don't care for the fact that they use the CESC forum as some starting point for great forums.After that whole thing with Matt & Chuck I've lost my desire to be on them and share..I'll stay on the LHF......"

Oh well, We can alwasy go see him at Hand Lettering
Inga

Postby Inga » June 7th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Gosh, no EDITING at this forum???? Yijkes, I better be careful what I type. Ah-ahahah
~Inga
Inga

Postby Kelly Harris » June 7th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Hey Inga,

The thought of using hydrofluoric acid scares the crap out of me. That is one process that I'm not willing to try. After reading what it can do to glass in a matter of 25 minutes I'd hate to think the damage it could do to my skin and bones. I say chip! The smell may test your gag reflexes (as it tested mine), but it sure is fun.

Kelly
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Tom Kuhn » June 7th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Inga wrote:Gosh, no EDITING at this forum???? Yijkes, I better be careful what I type. Ah-ahahah

Inga, I've got a support request into PHPBB.COM to get the Edit and Reply With Quote functionality back. Give it a litthe time, things are still developing.

Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby JECO1 » June 7th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Inga-
Please ask Roderick to give us a chance. The only reason I started with CES rules is that I don't know anything better. There is NO affilliation with CES, and I WANT Roderick to join us, as he has proven that he is a talented, generous individual, and I, among others here, value his input. I can promise that there will be NO public floggings!!!
If you get the chance, please ask him (and others) to contact me directly at either JESS@JECOGLASS.COM, (because I am hearing impaired), or at (480) 966-6827 Mon. thru Thursday, 8 to 4:30

I am determined to make this an enjoyable place, and folk like Roderick are invited to give their input.
Jess Pulliam,
Jeco Glasscraft,
Phoenix Lights,
Arizona Glass Classes

All types of flat glass work, hand beveling, sandblasting, Glass Distributor.
Visit us
HERE for more information
JECO1

Postby Tom Kuhn » June 8th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Inga wrote:Gosh, no EDITING at this forum???? Yijkes, I better be careful what I type. Ah-ahahah
~Inga

Inga, the EDIT and QUOTE (Reply With Quote) buttons are now available... 8-)

Aspiring Sandcarver
Woodworking hobbiest
Full-time Grandfather.

My Photo Gallery

Tom Kuhn
Site Admin

Postby Inga » June 13th, 2010, 12:23 am

JECO1 wrote:Inga-
Please ask Roderick to give us a chance. The only reason I started with CES rules is that I don't know anything better. There is NO affilliation with CES, and I WANT Roderick to join us...........

Your wish is my command.
~Inga
Inga

Return to Safety Precautions