• Advertisement

Do you want to make a lot of money?

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

Do you want to make a lot of money?

Postby GLASSART » August 18th, 2010, 4:45 pm

I think someone could make a lot of money if they came up with the difinitive pricing guide for sandblasting/etching of glass!
With catagories like wine bottles, mugs with quanity rates say 1-5 etc. wine glasses same thing. stainlless steel flasks and all other items we do
Set up charges , art charges logo design etc.

When I did sign painting a guy put out one and it was great it really helped , even if it just gave you a starting point and let you see industry rates!
GLASSART

Re: Do you want to make a lot of money?

Postby Inga » August 18th, 2010, 7:28 pm

I think one of the problems is that different markets bear totally different prices. Also, they will pay for art, and art generally has a perceived value and not something priced off of a list. That would be almost like going into a gallery and looking at prices by the square foot of canvas stretched onto the bars, coupled with the weight of the pigment.

So, to large degree, I think it is very individual.
That much said, I think some folks have a general idea of what certain small items should bring in .

But I must honestly say, I dont understand why you say that somebody could make a lot of money by making such a pricing list. :dunno: :dunno: Am I missing something?

~Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby bernie » August 18th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Totally agree with Inga on this.

I don't generally get into pricing discussions because ..." I will charge whatever the market will bear
in my area".

Perceived value is a big deal when dealing in art stuff. That is what this is. I am not a corner franchise
sign shop nor do I do production stuff. That is usually where you will find a pricing guide.

If I want to get a feel for something ... I may call a fellow blaster who is in my immediate backyard and
whom I trust to get a straight answer. Talking pricing to anyone who is not in my backyard is fun
but other than that ... gives me nothing I can work with.

Guaranteed there are a lot of areas that can't get what I charge and there are many more areas that
charge a lot more than I can get.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Ginger » August 18th, 2010, 8:27 pm

If only somebody could tell us how to price our work! But I don't think that's gonna happen . . .
Somebody once told me that in her particular corner of the world (a small town in upstate New York), people believed that "art" was anything that cost over $25 . . . :lol: Elsewhere, that may be what you pay to take someone out for coffee and a sweet roll. In some places that's what the tooth fairy gets per baby tooth. I think setting prices is more art than science, and a pricing model is never static -- it keeps evolving. But if somebody comes up with the definitive answer on pricing, be sure to let me know! It would save me a lot of hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing :DOH:
Ginger
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby Inga » August 18th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Charge them enough to make them start passing out.
Then back off a pinch before they hit the floor.
~Inga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJv5ta9hwU
Inga

Postby Ginger » August 19th, 2010, 7:25 am

Deliver prices in a padded room. Make sure your insurance is up to date. Have your bodyguard near.
My studio includes: Denver glass kiln, Skutt ceramics kiln, Jen-Ken kiln, compressor, sandblast setup, lap grinder, two ring saws, hand-held water-fed grinder, plotter, UV exposure unit. I work in glass, concrete, clay, metal, and stone.
Ginger

Postby Charles » August 20th, 2010, 7:24 am

Our goods are kinda on an individual basis for say a given design, it will be hard to set a guideline unless everyone buys the same inventory to start with, and does the same quality of work.
I can see why a set price for a set piece of work would be nice, but there are just to many variables, and the local market will be a big one even if everything else is the same.
An example for my business, a shop 30 miles south of me sells a gray granite, 3-6*0-6*1-6 P2 die on a 4-6*1-0*0-6 PFT BRP base set in the cemetery for LESS then my mark up on the same size piece.
They are selling very poor stone, single pass work, set on dry sackrete in the cemetery.

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby Engraver » April 1st, 2012, 4:44 pm

Inga wrote:Charge them enough to make them start passing out.
Then back off a pinch before they hit the floor.
~Inga

I like that. Wish it worked in my area!
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby jimmy21 » July 27th, 2012, 9:29 am

i sure would like to know what people are charging. I agree it only matters what your area will support and its going to vary from area to area, but its knowing someone elses prices helps. If im charging $3 to etch a beer mug and everyone else is getting $15 to $25 its a fair assumption that i should be able to raise my prices a little bit and not price myself out of the market. Likewise if im charging $150 per 8x11 halftone and not selling any, then i find out that everyone else on here is only charging $40, i can assume that im simply asking too much

On a powder coating message board im on, people ask all the time, "what would you charge to blast and coat these wheels in this color." Most people will say 200. A few might say 250 and you might even get someone that says 300 and somebody else says 150. In the end its up to the poster to decide the price but it give hims a general ballpark. He then knows that 100 is too cheap and 400 is too expensive
jimmy21

Return to Marketing and Services