• Advertisement

Different Marketing Technique

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

Different Marketing Technique

Postby randypitcher » May 1st, 2014, 4:43 am

I work for one of the emergency animal clinics here in the Phoenix, AZ area. Unfortunately, we euthanize quite a few animals. But for every pet that passes, we send out a sympathy card. I checked with the person that orders the cards to get some details and I found out that between our 5 clinics, we send out about 450 cards a month! I also found out that they are paying about $1.50 per card. I have a good friend who is a graphic artist and he has connections to a local printer. I asked him what it wold cost to design a sympathy card and have them printed with my information on the back. Turns out that the cost per card was ridiculously cheap.

I typed up a proposal to supply sympathy cards to all of our clinics for free and presented it to the person in charge. She really like the idea and went forward with the project. It probably helped that I made her a memorial for one of her cats last year. It took a while for her to agree on the design of the cards, but it finally came about.

The cards have been in the clinics for about a week now. I haven't gotten any calls or inquiries yet.

I figure this could be a complete bust, I could get overwhelmed with orders or I could get about 10 orders a month and be happy. I'm hoping for the later.

I'll keep you posted on the results, if there are any to post!

-Randy
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Re: Different Marketing Technique

Postby Terry W » May 1st, 2014, 11:46 am

Thats a pretty good idea Randy.

Here were I live there is 1 company that has things locked up with all the vets, clinics, shelters, etc. They pay off the purchasing agents, give free stuff to the shops and in turn have them only give out their name. I checked almost 30 places when I moved here and every one said they had a contract with these people and wouldn't change or even talk about letting some one else in. There prices are at least 5 times what I charge and they don't do any custom work only boiler plate generic stuff.

Hope it pans out for you. :B:
Terry
Terry W

Postby randypitcher » October 1st, 2015, 2:42 pm

Thought it was about time to give you an update.

After almost a year-and-a-half and almost 5000 sympathy cards, I have gotten exactly ZERO inquiries for pet memorials!

I let them know that I would be more than happy to supply more cards, but they would have to pay my cost for them. I haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm not sure why no one responded. It is a little disheartening.

Not sure what I'm going to try next. I might work up a tri-fold flyer and get some acrylic holders and see if I can put them up in clinics close to me.
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby David Takes » October 1st, 2015, 6:06 pm

Randy,

With urns you are almost always going to sell only one at a time. That is why I don't display them in my showroom. Wouldn't you prefer to sell something in quantity? I would focus on products that tend to be purchased in quantity and prospective markets that tend to purchase in multiples.
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby randypitcher » October 2nd, 2015, 5:04 pm

I would love to do quantity stuff!

Coming from a veterinary technician background, especially working in an emergency clinic, I have a soft spot for pet memorials. That is what got me started in sandblasting. I wanted to make a memorial for one of my pets. I still haven't done that yet!!
randypitcher

Postby JESS » October 2nd, 2015, 5:22 pm

Whatcha waiting for? This work is less work when you're doing something you WANT to do. I'll wait for pictures. 8-)
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby David Takes » October 3rd, 2015, 10:54 am

Plus, with sandcarving you won't get your hand or arm bitten. :ROFL:
David Takes
Expressions Engraved
St. Joseph, Missouri
http://www.expressionsengraved.com
David Takes

Postby Donna D. » November 1st, 2015, 2:28 pm

I'm just coming back to the forum after being gone for a while (lots of screwy reasons).

However, if you're working at an emergency pet clinic, have you considered turning your personal vehicle into a traveling billboard? Decals in the back window (with your website), magnetic signs on the doors and maybe wood signs in the pockets of a pickup bed (if you drive a pickup?). One of the cheapest and best advertising you have is your motor vehicle.

Just a thought (and it works for me).
Donna D.

Return to Marketing and Services