• Advertisement

Local street fair.

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

Local street fair.

Postby Daryl » July 18th, 2013, 4:45 pm

We have a local group (a memorial park, that is celebrating 75 years in the community) that is putting a Arts and Craft fair together in September and they are looking for venders.
I have been thinking about signing up for this and displaying some items.
There is no charge to set up a booth. They have 18 other venders signed up all ready.
My question is if I decide to do this what types of things should I try and sell or show?
I have no stock items made, what should I make that would fit the season? It is a one day show so I don't think I would need a lot of inventory to sell but ya just don't know.
I was going to make signs that state that "Personalization" is available, with some samples of things.
But I don't know what else to show, I have a lot of Ornament blanks,some picture frames and I also do stone markers.

I have never done any thing like this and I am not sure how to go about it.

If anybody has a suggestion or 2,3,4, I'm all ears.
Thanks Daryl
Daryl

Re: Local street fair.

Postby wayne p » July 18th, 2013, 5:44 pm

First off, make sure you have a lot of business cards. You'll be surprised at how fast they go.
I'd do up some generic ornaments for Christmas and a Baby birth.
A couple larger pieces that show your talent/ability they may not sell but should get attention and future business.
Stone markers maybe one with a pet name and date plus picture for cemetery marker, one with a garden motif flower, radish , etc and then one with family name for address marker.
Small stones with a word i.e. peace, love, pray, or creatures frog, seahorse, turtle usually sell.

IMHO, The sales are not going to be great BUT you should generate a lot of interest and hopefully future orders for specific wants. Have a lot of examples of the different things you can do and let people know you are there to do what they want/need.

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out if you decide to move forward.
wayne p

Postby LVDave » July 19th, 2013, 7:19 am

Daryl I do not know where your located but sometimes that could dictate designs or themes. Besides the usual booth set-up necessities there are a few things you can do without a giant inventory. One idea would be to get a half pint and one pint mason jar box from wal-mart or whatever. Then put an inscription on it as if you would for canning but also make it personal as you would for a relative or friend. Put the type of jelly or veggie on it, dates if that suits the item and then name or message. This will attract those canning people out there. I have more success frosting around the design or words leaving that clear. I do not frost the entire jar, they like to see the item through the wording and around the frosting.

Dave
LVDave

Postby Daryl » September 5th, 2013, 2:05 pm

wayne p wrote:First off, make sure you have a lot of business cards. You'll be surprised at how fast they go.
I'd do up some generic ornaments for Christmas and a Baby birth.
A couple larger pieces that show your talent/ability they may not sell but should get attention and future business.
Stone markers maybe one with a pet name and date plus picture for cemetery marker, one with a garden motif flower, radish , etc and then one with family name for address marker.
Small stones with a word i.e. peace, love, pray, or creatures frog, seahorse, turtle usually sell.

IMHO, The sales are not going to be great BUT you should generate a lot of interest and hopefully future orders for specific wants. Have a lot of examples of the different things you can do and let people know you are there to do what they want/need.

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out if you decide to move forward.

Well I have a fair amount of inventory built up, but, would I be better off just displaying say the nice picture frames etc., with some of the photos of items done as apposed to using up good stock? :dunno
I don't mind a few dollars such as ornaments as baby births,( $2.75) and such but a $20.00 picture frame (cost, plus material) for a sample, for a one time event at this point.(wasted inventory/money) :dunno:
This has been more work than I expected and I find myself over analyzing stuff. Should I do this or that then I say to self, self, just keep it simple and work on displaying it then look at what I have and adjust from there.
Show is the 21st of September.
Ordered and received a 2×6 Banner with name and number on it along with 250 business cards.
I appreciate all the input I have received from members and look forward to learning what I should have could have done to maybe do this again, with better preparation.
Daryl
Daryl

Postby Kelly Harris » September 5th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I did a farmers market for one summer. All I offered was custom, I had nothing that a customer could purchase right there and ended up with virtually no sales. Except for my husband selling my sample stone with "The Smith's" blasted into it.
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Terry W » September 5th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Daryl if your bringing stone, you can't go wrong with just a nice "Welcome" stone. Everyone seems to like those and it's a sample you can actually sell.

If you have a plotter make yourself a couple nicely designed signs (Corrugated pvc sign blanks are cheap) and list things you do. I have one on every side a customer can walk up to. If your between other vendors you may only need 1. They can read what you offer without having to interact. If they look interested in anything jump in and offer up any info you have.

Don't be discouraged if you don't sell anything at a show. I have done several shows that didn't cover the cost (not even close) but I almost always get a nice sale or two later from people I talked to.

Halloween is coming up. Make a couple Halloween items, coffee cup, coaster???? Those may sell but would also give ideas to people.

Have anything with some LED's? I bring a booster box with converter and it runs everything I want for a 2 day show. People love lighted etched items. You may need to figure something for a dark hood as it can be tough to see anything lit up if it's bright out.

One thing I do that is very important to me. I keep a show journal. Just a cheapo note pad with "Show" on the front. I write down every thing. Weather, crowd, what people looked at, possible leads with contact info, what sold, what to bring, etc. This will give you an idea for the next show or even for the same show next year (like if it's worth doing or not).

Sorry, I'm rambling. Just loook at it this way. Your only out your time and it's good exposure no matter what.
Terry
Terry W

Postby Daryl » September 6th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Thank You for the info.
Iam ready to go (almost)
Daryl

Postby Daryl » September 24th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well the show was a flop.
It was 68° raining and half the vendors didn't show up.

People walked by and didn't even stop for more than a minute.

Talked and invited them to look around, but to now avail...

Sold a $5.00 rock and took 1 order for a $30.00 paver stone.

Was to run till 5:00pm but the other vendors were packing up at 2:00 because of the rain.

We packed up about 2:30, got soaked as well

Handed out a few cards and chatted with some interested stone people but no glass sales.

really disappointed... :T:
Daryl

Postby kuluchicken » September 24th, 2013, 10:18 pm

It's not easy marketing yourself. I find it very hard. I've never found shows to be worth my while but the exposure couldn't hurt.

Well done for actually selling something as well as an order!
kuluchicken

Return to Marketing and Services