• Advertisement

Glue Chipping Failure

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

Glue Chipping Failure

Postby CrystalSwanEtchings » April 5th, 2013, 6:35 am

Trying to glue chip a vase. My first attempt, I left the glue overnight and the next morning, the glue was still on it completely hardened. I soaked it all off. I was told that maybe I didn't leave it on long enough. So I surfaced etched another vase and did it again. The glue has been on for 3 days now and still doesn't look like anything is happening. Anybody have any helpful hints? Will it eventually chip? Thanks in advance!
CrystalSwanEtchings

Re: Glue Chipping Failure

Postby Rich » April 5th, 2013, 9:01 am

CrystalSwanEtchings wrote:Trying to glue chip a vase. My first attempt, I left the glue overnight and the next morning, the glue was still on it completely hardened. I soaked it all off. I was told that maybe I didn't leave it on long enough. So I surfaced etched another vase and did it again. The glue has been on for 3 days now and still doesn't look like anything is happening. Anybody have any helpful hints? Will it eventually chip? Thanks in advance!

There are several variables which affect the chipping. Any one of them can cause the "problem" you are experiencing. The key variables are : strength and thickness of the glue (along with proper surface preparation), ambient temperature, and humidity. In order to get the glue to chip you must get the humidity down to at least 40% or lower and you must maintain the temperature to at least 70F (21.1C). If those two things are correct, then the glue is too thin (watery) or not applied thick enough on the substrate.
Rich

Postby CrystalSwanEtchings » April 5th, 2013, 9:55 am

Hmmm, probably hasn't been 70 degrees where I'm keeping it. Can I move it somewhere warmer or is it too late? Should I start over? And how would I keep the humidity down?
CrystalSwanEtchings

Postby Rich » April 5th, 2013, 11:22 am

CrystalSwanEtchings wrote:Hmmm, probably hasn't been 70 degrees where I'm keeping it. Can I move it somewhere warmer or is it too late? Should I start over? And how would I keep the humidity down?

If you intend to do a lot of glue chipping making an enclosure to control temperature and humidity is a good idea. No, it is not too late. I don't do enough chipping to warrant giving up floor space for a chipping cabinet so I a carbborad box, place the piece inside it and point a small portable electric heater at the piece inside the box. I live in a very humid area. The only way I can get the humidity down to the levels needed is to run a dehumidifier to remove the water from the air. In a 24 hour period I will normally remove 3L of water from the air. Around here, 70% humidity is normal. I tried for a long time with poor results until I plugged in a dehumidifier. That made the difference and I can normally chip a piece in 24-36 hours now.
Rich

Postby CrystalSwanEtchings » April 5th, 2013, 11:28 am

Thanks Rich! I'm going to try those things and see if I could save this piece.
CrystalSwanEtchings

Return to Marketing and Services