• Advertisement

How should I deal with time suckers?

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

How should I deal with time suckers?

Postby jeffwerfree » February 20th, 2013, 10:18 am

I'm new to this blasting business and have only had a few jobs. It seems like the target market in the area is lonely old men who like to talk way too much. I'm talking about a 3 hr meeting to talk about a tiny window. We spend about 30 minutes talking about the project AFTER sitting for 2 1/2 hours learning anything and everything about these kind of people. How can I kindly tell them that I don't have time to listen to their life story?

The only thing that I can think of is offering a 1 or 2 hour free consultation then turning the clock on and charging them for the time in the final cost of the project. This wouldn't work if I spend 5 hours talking to a client that decides not to purchase.

How do you deal with the time-suckers in the industry?
jeffwerfree

Re: How should I deal with time suckers?

Postby LVDave » February 20th, 2013, 10:35 am

Is this at a farmer's market, craft fair or a walk in shop?
LVDave

Postby Terry W » February 20th, 2013, 11:04 am

Make a polite sign stating that this is your job and you are on the clock and so are they!

I just had a small job for someone $85. 15 e-mails later and no less than 10 calls. Just chalked it up to a learning refresher.
Terry
Terry W

Postby jeffwerfree » February 20th, 2013, 11:11 am

I have been meeting these clients in their homes.
jeffwerfree

Postby LVDave » February 20th, 2013, 11:30 am

I have done that once but did not have that problem. stated to them as I arrived that I had limited time and had other obligations. Terry's sign in the shop is a good idea. It is all a learning experience.
LVDave

Postby bernie » February 20th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I have been on your website and since your family has a art studio ... how do you guys handle it in the shop?

You handle it the same way when you go on-site.

Bernie
bernie

Postby bernie » February 20th, 2013, 8:17 pm

I just had a small job for someone $85. 15 e-mails later and no less than 10 calls. Just chalked it up to a learning refresher.[/quote]

Been there too. Seems the smaller the jobs ... the more back and forth nonsense.

Bernie
bernie

Postby Charles » February 23rd, 2013, 6:38 am

I take all the time I can to talk to these folks, if I have to stay late to make up the time I do. Word of mouth is your best advertising. Sometimes these chats being company to someone for a bit will turn out to this person telling folks how good you are and what a nice person u are also!

Charles
Charles Mckenzie
McKenzie Monuments Inc.
3450 N. St. Louis St.
Batesville, AR 72501
870-793-3216
Charles

Postby jeffwerfree » February 25th, 2013, 9:35 am

I've been spending a lot of time with these folks and most of them are really interesting people. However, If I spend all of my time with them I get little work done and my wife and 2 1/2 month old daughter suffer the consequences of me not being around while I'm working late to make up for lost time. My new mode of operation is to schedule 2 hour blocks of time with these folks. Most projects can be determined in this amount of time and it should make it so subjects such as religion and politics don't have time to come up. I've been the nice guy with infinite amounts of time, but now I'm just going to be the nice businessman with a schedule.
jeffwerfree

Postby peter_n » February 25th, 2013, 5:48 pm

The way I deal with this sort of thing, no matter what you are selling, if you are going to "their place", always set ground rules before you get there. ie. i have 30, 60, 2 hrs etc... and then I have another appointment.
Business: When would be a good time?
client: wed at 4pm (or whatever time)
Business: I think I can make that work, I have a a meeting just before that and after that..... I can give you (fill in time duration here). We will need to move quick and precise (or whatever you feel comfortable saying, as long as it conveys urgency).

You can be nice and pointed, it works, i do it everyday in the Architectural field.
peter_n

Return to Marketing and Services