• Advertisement

Advice on a job

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

Advice on a job

Postby Daryl » January 26th, 2013, 12:16 pm

I was approached by a fellow at work who is a Shriner, they are in need of approx 30 trophy's for a "Clown-0-Rama" (gathering of clowns from different Shriner locations,I Guess)
They are going to award 1,2,3rd place trophy's for different groups of clowns.
Im not sure how I should price the job.
They are going to place a logo of the local club on each of the different awards.
I buy my Awards from Ikonics. Would I be out of line by charging 40% mark-up on all the glass items?
A set up fee ( I dont know what I should charge for this)
What is a fair price for rapid mask. If it cost me approx .08 per square inch ( I think I did the math right $90.00 for a box of 10 10x12 sheets is about .075 a square inch right?)
I was thinking charging .75 @ sq inch.
So if the largest piece would by 6x6 (36sq in) $27.00 for material. My actual cost would by 2.88 in rapid mask,1.00 accuart, tape, bla bla,bla leaving approx $20.00 to cover my labor (or an hours time per each award)
Does this sound reasonable? Or too low or high.
I do this out of my basement as a Hobby.

I also found out this guy knew this was planned for two years now and he needs them by March 8th. He had somebody that was going to do them for him but is unable to now.

We are to set down tonight and chat about what hes looking to do or what hes got in mind.

Opinions appreciated..(glad there's a spell checker on here)
Daryl

Re: Advice on a job

Postby JESS » January 26th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Too low. You can always come down, but never raise. Double (or more) the materials. (your figure for RM is in line) Add artwork time for each different design (Yes, they may provide vector artwork, but you almost always have to make changes for blasting. "Artwork intervention/correction". Make sure you are comfortable with your profit margin, and have fun! Also, if you consider this a "rush" job, charge a "rush fee". Being under the gun takes a lot of the fun out, so you might as well get paid.
Just my 2¢.
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Kelly Harris » January 26th, 2013, 8:00 pm

You'll also want to factor in for waste.

I can agree with Jess but it depends on how bad you want the work. Are you willing to walk away with no job at all if you're too high?
PS CS2, CD X4, Acer laptop, Canon 700F scanner, HP laserjet 1600 printer, Epson Stylus 1400 printer, Intuos 4 tablet, Letralite, Summa D610 plotter, 2 cabinets, 2 pressure pots, 60 gallon air compressor, Fuji S8100 DSLR.

Kelegant Studios
Kelly Harris

Postby Daryl » January 27th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Met with the guy last night and he took catalog to show other clowns. Said he would call me with a few selections of Products so I can give some pricing.
l thank you guys for your info and will keep it in mind when I price...
They may or may not have logo on award,depending on size of award.
The number of awards is 24, 3 in each groups
I didn't know there were that many diff types of clowns?
Thanks D.
Daryl

Postby JESS » January 27th, 2013, 6:21 pm

As our tag line says, if you are attacked by a mob of them, go for the Juggler!
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Daryl » January 27th, 2013, 7:33 pm

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Daryl

Return to Marketing and Services