• Advertisement

where should i advertise?

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

where should i advertise?

Postby jimmy21 » September 27th, 2012, 11:08 am

I do this out of my garage. I just went through a move and so I hadnt done it in a while. Now im back at it and trying to build up my customer base. Usually who I sell to is coworkers. I work big construction jobs and i can usually work it up in conversation to make sales. Right now I'm not working. so i have no customers when i need them the most

I made a Facebook and have trying to get that page out there but I've only made a couole sales from it. I tried craigslist but didn't get a single hit. My ad wasnt very good

Problem is that right now I'm kind of a one trick pony. I do a lot of drinking glasses. I'm workiing on getting into rapid mask and doing half tones. I think that will add a ton of versatility, but where should i advertise it?
jimmy21

Re: where should i advertise?

Postby Engraver » September 27th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Anywhere and everywhere

your gonna laugh but i get a ton of business by hanging tear-offs in a chinese food to go place

Make up brochures or rack cards and place them everywhere. All my business is word of mouth and referrals mostly so it takes a long time to build up that way but i dump literature everywhere I go.

make cheap samples give to business owners

join local chamber of commerce

go talk to newspaper - ask them to do an article on you and what you do - they all have community type stories like that
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Postby jimmy21 » September 27th, 2012, 5:11 pm

i think i really need to get the rapidmask going before i can do full blown advertising like that. I feel so limited doing it with just the vinyl plotter.
jimmy21

Postby JESS » September 27th, 2012, 6:01 pm

There ya go! Now you're paying attention. The more you are capable of, the more you might sell.
I found, a lot of years ago, that different disciplines become popular in waves. You might be buried under carving work for several months, then get no orders for a year. If you are competent in photo-resist, it might fill some of those gaps. If you can do large format, (shower doors, car dealerships, conference rooms, etc), then you have another discipline that fills gaps. In my case, I may do no hand beveling for months, then be buried under jobs for the next year. Who knows? I have been doing a LOT of salon mirrors lately, but when that fad fades, I hope to be able to do the next fad. Today, we were asked to quote on a very ornate door, that includes glue chipping. I'm betting we will quote it for at least 3 more glass shops before we get the job. Why do I think we will get the job? Because, so very few can do it, and we are one of them. It's a local job, so prospects are high. I honestly believe, diversification is the key to surviving.

Quite a few of our members have attended my classes, in hopes of widening their customer base. Hopefully, a few of them will chime in, agreeing, the more you CAN do, the more you WILL do. All the free information we supply as a forum is no replacement for experience, so - Practice, Practice, Practice. It's not going to magically happen, it takes work.
Respectfully-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby Engraver » September 28th, 2012, 8:19 am

jimmy21 wrote:i think i really need to get the rapidmask going before i can do full blown advertising like that. I feel so limited doing it with just the vinyl plotter.

suit yourself - it will just take longer!
Kevin Coughlin
Signs from Above
607 -652-503 9
Jefferson, NY 12093
http://www.SignsFromAboveOnline.Com
www.facebook/signsfromabove
Engraver

Return to Marketing and Services