• Advertisement

Questions about placing glass in a business

Here's a place for members to advertise and offer services to other members.
  • Advertisement

Questions about placing glass in a business

Postby Daryl » January 5th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I work with a gentleman whose wife owns a flower shop in our town.

Now let me back up, for the last two years at our company Christmas party's I have donated some sandblasted glass items for door prizes. Coasters with company logos, Christmas ornaments, picture frames, flasks, little things.

Last week the fellow ask me if i would be interested in putting some of my items in their store for sale, they have a larger area now and they would like to put some nice stuff in there( no junk) to sell. I said yea, lets talk.
Well I should have said let me think about it first, cuz I have no FREAKING IDEA what you would sell in a flower shop. I think they might be looking to do some sort of gift shop idea, just a guess.

I would image the items would need to be seasonal.

How I would charge them? Would I want to sell it to them at what I would normally sell it for, at my retail price, and then let them make what ever they wanted to? Or do some other structure.

At this time I have only done single stage items on glass and "some" items on stone. I cant draw to save my life, if it were not for you guys and gals I would be selling, no giving my mistakes away.

So If any body has an experience in flower shops and business ideas i would appreciate your input.
Thank You
Daryl

Oh by the way, there shop is only a few blocks away from our local hospital.
Daryl

Re: Questions about placing glass in a business

Postby KBrownlee » January 5th, 2012, 5:11 pm

How about some vases? single stage is fine.
Coffee mugs to put some candy or small packages of coffe in?
Maybe some small mirrors to put candles on....

I have a booth at a local flea market. It is interesting what sells and doesn't. I think it depends on your area, so just try a couple of items at a time.

Kerri in Arkansas
KBrownlee
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner
2011 Flake-Of-The-Year Contest Winner

Postby Terry W » January 5th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Daryl if they do any weddings your door is open. Bottles, flutes, beer mugs, flasks. Toss in a few smaller glass art items so you can show what else you do.

As for pricing it's tough to charge a shop your full retail price. If they see your items anywhere else for what you want to charge than why would anyone buy from them and have to pay more. What I would suggest is if they want discounts than make them buy your items or make them buy quantity. Whether you make them buy 5 of something to get a price brake or a dollar amount such as ???% off with the purchase of ???$'s worth of product.

They have to feel it's a benefit to both of you.

Another option would be to just do consignment items. Agree on a percentage they would get and price according. A drawback to this is if you price it too high they will not try to sell it and soon you'll be off the shelf.

I am sure you'll get lots of feedback here.

Good luck.
Terry
Terry W

Postby JESS » January 5th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Daryl-
I would like to suggest-
When you are dealing with someone who can move a fair amount of work, figure out for yourself what price percentage you can give away for volume production. If you were to offer standard designs that fit their market, you could offer a specific discount, and for custom work, add a percentage. You might find the custom work to be more profitable, but the volume work might provide a reliable income source. It really is up to you to decide, but regular customers are the basis for most businesses.
Hope this helps-
Jess
JESS
Site Admin

Postby randypitcher » January 6th, 2012, 2:13 am

I have some items in a local business on a consignment basis. I have a mixture of glass, rock and metal items geared toward their clientele. The price they offer the items for are the same price as I would sell them for myself. One thing that I've read is that you never want to undersell the people selling your products.

As for what to place. Remember, Valentine's Day is coming up, so I would offer something for that.

Good luck, sounds like a great opportunity.

-Randy
Started researching, studying and reading in February 2010. First piece etched on March 11, 2011
CrystalBlast 3624 cabinet, Home Depot 3.2 h.p. air compressor, CorelDraw X5, ADP2400 Plotter
randypitcher

Postby Tricia » January 15th, 2012, 4:02 pm

:RO: How about some sun-catchers? Candle cylinders? Glass blocks with flower holders in them? - could light them, fill them with colored water, etc. Check the designs here - abundant. Ck the sources here- prolific. Just don't get frazzled. I'm sure that you, and all who answer, will get the imagination train started. :D Good going

Pat in Kent
Tricia

Return to Marketing and Services